Rit Dye - How to Dye Synthetics
One of the questions we have been getting lately is how to dye synthetics (like polyester) with Rit DyeMore. Well, here is how! What better way to demonstrate than by customizing a pair of leggings.
1. Prewash leggings in warm, soapy water to remove any finishes that may interfere with dye absorption.
2. Leave the fabric damp and lay it out on a flat surface.
3. For this project, we did the scrunch technique.
4. Scrunch the leggings together to form a flat ball.
6. Now its time to create your dyebath.
7. Fill a stainless steel pot with 11 litres of hot water.
8. Cover pot and heat water on stove top to just below boiling (82 degrees C)
9. Wearing gloves, add 1/2 bottle of well- shaken dye.
10. Mix well.
11. Wet leggings and add them to the dyebath.
12. Stir occasionally for 5 to 30 minutes. Allow more time if dyeing 100% polyester. The longer the fabric is in the dye bath, the darker the colour will be. Please note that fabric will look darker when wet and will dry lighter.
13. When desired colour is achieved, remove wrapped fabric from from the dyebath. Squeeze our excess dye.
14. Rinse in warm water and then gradually cool water until rinse water begins to run clear.
15. Carefully remove rubber bands with scissors and unfold the fabric
16. Wash in warm water with a mild detergent, rinse and dry
Enjoy! It's just like having brand new tie dye leggings. This look is so on trend right now!