Make Your Own Christmas Tree Napkins
Add a touch of class to your Christmas table or make a quick and easy gift your friends & family will love. You can use Christmas fabrics or tailor your fabric choices to allow you to use the napkins throughout the year. They are 100% cotton and are made with two contrasting complementary fabric designs. You can experiment with table settings or even use the napkins to wrap your silverware. Patterns are supplied at actual size and at 50% of actual size under "Cutting".
To Make 4 Napkins: Join Largest Pattern Pieces Together if Using at Actual Size (Download Pattern from Cutting Section)
- 50cm x 1mt of Main Print Fabric (We used Liberty Seasons Greetings SKU 643006-5664X)
- 50cm x 1mt of Contrasting Fabric (We used Michael Miller Fairy Frost SKU 641002-HOLLYBERRY)
- Matching Thread (SKU 734609)
- Scissors (SKU 018637)
- Sewing Machine
- Iron/Ironing Board (Iron-171017, Ironing Board-012122)
- Sewing Pins (SKU 024155)
- 4 x 10cm Ribbon pieces for stem (optional) (We used SKU 801330)
- Erasable Fabric Marker (SKU 611808)
- Optional Christmas buttons or motifs Eg: SKU - 160639, 160634, 160640, 170220, 160633
- Optional Braid/Ribbon to insert into seam.
Cut (4) pieces in each fabric with the pattern supplied. Use the solid lines of the pattern piece for cutting (the dotted lines will be used later on for folding the napkins).
Patterns can be found here: Christmas-Napkin-Template-LR.pdf
Place a half circle on a flat surface, right side up. Place a contrasting half circle on top, right sides together and pin. Sew around the half circle using a 6mm (1/4”) seam, making sure to leave a 10cm gap open on the straight edge. This will allow you to turn it right side out.
(Note - Insert ribbon prior to sewing if choosing to use)
Clip the corners and snip along the curve. Turn through to the right side, smooth seams and press well. Take your time to roll the edge to make the seam as crisp as possible. Slip stitch opening by hand or close the opening by machine.
Fold and press the napkins, using the dotted lines on the pattern piece as a guide. Repeat on the remaining half circles. Decorate further if required. Optionally, once all seams are pressed, topstitch around all sides using 1/8″ seam and matching thread to secure.
Use Pattern Piece at 50% of Actual Size (Download Pattern from Cutting Section)
1) Using same method as above, using the smaller pattern piece. Hand sew ribbon or braid at the top point of the tree to use as Christmas tree decorations. Tie stitch the tree at fabric folds to reduce opening when the decoration is hanging.
2) Optionally make in paper to create origami Christmas Trees, or glue origami trees to plain card for a quick and easy Christmas card.
There you have it! A quick and easy home décor or gift that is sure to impress the receiver. They’ll be able to use them for next Christmas too!
Hot Tip: You can raise or lower to folding point on the napkins to change the look of the design.